Are you looking for a comfortable car to catch some comfortable sleep on long road trips? With reclining seats and spacious interiors, some of the best cars to sleep in make better overnight sleeping quarters than others.
What features allow certain cars, SUVs, trucks, and vans to transform into cozy beds-on-wheels? Interior space is important, but amenities like folding seats, sunshades, and climate control settings contribute to a good night’s rest. Did you know the U.S. auto market offers over 300 models?
Evaluating size, comfort, and price can help determine the best options for your needs and budget. Whether you want a weekend adventure rig or a daily commuter for catnaps, discover the top-rated pickup trucks, family cars, and luxury rides for sleeping in 2023 and 2024. Read on to learn rear seat dimensions, test convenience, and compare amenities of the most sleep-friendly vehicles hitting dealerships soon.
Best Car Features for Sleeping
Looking to catch some z’s in your car during a long road trip or camping excursion? Making your vehicle a comfortable place to sleep requires certain features that allow seats to recline and provide space to stretch out. When equipped properly, cars, trucks, and SUVs can transform into cozy beds away from home.
Key things to look for include:
- Spaciousness. Choose a roomy model that offers maximum interior passenger and cargo volume. Large sedans, minivans, SUVs, and pickup trucks provide the most sleeping space. Measure rear seat dimensions and vertical room before buying.
- Flat folding rear seats. Many modern family vehicles, vans and SUVs feature second and third-row seats that fold fully flat, creating a large horizontal sleeping surface when needed. This hugely expands usable space.
- Headrests and leg rests. Adjustable, padded headrests allow rear passengers to support their heads comfortably. Some higher-end models even have power-adjustable leg rests for the ultimate napping experience.
- Climate controls. Dual-zone temperature settings, vent positioning and heated/cooled seats allow rear passengers to customize climate comfort, avoiding stuffiness.
While sleeping isn’t their intended function, some vehicles cater well to resting on long journeys. Evaluate roominess, seat folding abilities and custom comfort settings when shopping. Certain trucks, family cars and luxury SUVs can morph into cozy motel replacements tucked away off the highway. Verify dimensions and amenities that enable your ideal car bed setup.
Tips for Sleeping in a Car
Trying to catch some rest on a road trip by sleeping in your car? Making your vehicle an adequate place to sleep takes some preparation and planning. Follow these tips for getting better quality shut-eye:
- Opt for roomier models. Choose a car, SUV, minivan or truck with maximum interior space and cargo capacity. Measure the rear area to ensure enough length when seats are folded down. Tall vehicles like trucks and large SUVs allow more vertical room to sit fully upright.
- Completely darken windows. Use sunshades or curtains to block all interior light for easier sleep. If your vehicle lacks shades, consider bringing a sleeping mask. Covering the windshield and front windows prevents early morning sunshine from disrupting rest.
- Create a flat surface. Lower the rear seats fully horizontally to setup a flat platform for rest. Remove the headrests first in many vehicles. Carry inflatable mattresses or bedding if the flat surface isn’t padded sufficiently.
- Get insulation and padding. Bring items like sleeping bags, blankets, pillows, and foam pads to provide cushioning and insulation from uneven surfaces. The right bedding gear promotes warmth and comfort.
- Ventilate effectively. Crack windows allowing airflow if weather permits, avoiding mugginess. Adjust climate control settings to prevent condensation buildup inside.
Sleeping in cars can rival resting in tents or motel rooms when properly utilizing space. Evaluate roominess, then equip with blackout shades, flat-folding seats, and cozy bed materials for best overnight experiences.
17 Best Cars to Sleep In For Camping in 2024
Here are our 17 most comfortable cars to sleep in for camping or long drives in 2024.
Also Check: Best New Car Releases With Panoramic Sunroofs
1. 2024 Subaru Outback
The 2024 Subaru Outback is an excellent choice for those seeking a vehicle comfortable enough for sleeping. Its extended chassis, broad wheelbase, and high roofs make it comparable in size to a standard two-person tent, offering ample space for most people to sleep comfortably.
The vehicle measures approximately 70 inches in length from behind the front row of seats to the rear gate. Further, the width of the second row of seats is about 53 inches. It provides enough space for two average-sized adults to lie side by side. The Outback also boasts a height of 39 inches, offering generous headroom.
- Interior dimensions make it roomy enough for most people to sleep comfortably.
- Folding down the rear seats transforms the car into a space comparable to a full bed.
- You can install a bed platform for extra storage or use specialty car pads for added comfort.
- Using a rooftop tent extends its utility for serious off-roaders or extended travelers.
- Those who are above average height might find the sleeping area somewhat cramped.
- Storing personal gear or sleeping inside the vehicle might require additional planning or equipment.
- Cargo Area: 75.6 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $28,895
- MPG: 26/32
2. 2024 Honda CR-V
The 2024 Honda CR-V is highly recommended for best cars to sleep in for camping due to its comfortable and well-designed interior. It’s redesigned from the 2023 model, offering a choice between gas-powered and hybrid versions.
The base LX model includes features like 17-inch aluminum wheels, LED headlights, keyless start, cloth seats, an eight-position reclining rear seat, automatic climate control, and a 7.0-inch Apple CarPlay and Android Auto touchscreen.
Safety features include a multi-angle rearview camera, forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, active lane keeping, and adaptive cruise control with low-speed following and traffic-sign recognition.
- High ratings for comfort and interior design.
- Eight-position reclining rear seat enhances sleeping comfort.
- Offers a more powerful and efficient hybrid version.
- Equipped with comprehensive safety technologies.
- Includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and a touchscreen interface.
- Slightly more expensive than the previous model.
- It can be confusing to choose between gas and hybrid models.
- Cargo Area: 76.5 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $29,500 LX., Sport Hybrid (with roof rails) $33,350
- MPG: 28/34 (43/36 Hybrid)
3. 2023 Toyota Rav4
The 2023 Toyota RAV4 is a great choice for sleeping in, especially for those who enjoy road trips and camping. Its design offers a comfortable and spacious interior, making it suitable for a restful night’s sleep. With the rear seats folded down, it provides a flat surface accommodating a full-sized adult.
The RAV4’s quiet interior and smooth suspension create a peaceful sleeping environment. It’s also versatile and convenient for city driving and off-road adventures, allowing you to find a scenic spot to park and sleep easily. Fuel efficiency makes it a cost-effective choice for long trips.
- The RAV4 offers plenty of room for comfortable sleeping.
- Suitable for both city driving and off-road adventures.
- Makes it a cost-effective option for long trips.
- Ensures a peaceful sleeping environment.
- Adds to the overall comfort while sleeping.
- Ideal for setting up bedding.
- Those taller than 5′ 8″ may find it slightly cramped.
- The rear cargo area is angled, so finding a flat surface for sleeping is essential.
- Might need specific types of bedding for optimum comfort.
- Cargo Area: 69.7 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $27,975
- MPG: 25/32
4. 2024 Volvo XC90
The 2024 Volvo XC90 is a luxurious and spacious SUV, making it an excellent choice for sleeping during road trips or camping. It features an inter-cooled turbo gas/electric I-4 engine, balancing power and efficiency.
The vehicle’s suspension system, including double wishbone suspension at the front and multi-link suspension at the rear, ensures a smooth and comfortable ride. Moreover, it has essential safety features like a standard blind spot monitor, lane departure warning, stability control, and a backup camera.
- Luxurious and spacious interior
- Smooth and comfortable ride
- Efficient turbo gas/electric engine
- Essential safety features included
- Good towing capacity
- Higher price point
- More suited for luxury than rugged use
- Limited off-road capabilities compared to some rival.
- Cargo Area: 63.3 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $56,000
- MPG: 22/26
5. 2024 Mazda CX-50
The 2024 Mazda CX-50 is recognized for its unique driving dynamics, interior quality, and technology blend. This makes it a competitive option in the SUV segment. This model year brings enhancements such as a 12-speaker Bose sound system and wireless charging pad, which are now standard on more trims.
Additionally, the entire lineup features a standard 10.25-inch infotainment screen. Mazda has also re-tuned the suspension and steering for improved handling.
- Engaging and refined driving experience
- Luxurious interior
- Strong turbo engine
- Good looks
- Excellent handling
- Fun turbo engine
- Real capability
- No hybrid available
- Infotainment system not favored by everyone
- Underwhelming fuel economy
- Less interior space compared to rivals
- Low-end warranty coverage
- Cargo Area: 56.3 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $30,300
- MPG: 24/30
6. 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a versatile SUV with V6, V8, and plug-in hybrid powertrains. This makes it among the best cars to sleep in for camping.
Its spacious interior and various four-wheel-drive systems provide comfort and reliability in different terrains.
- Spacious interior for comfortable sleeping
- Various four-wheel-drive systems for different conditions
- Strong towing capacity
- Plug-in hybrid option for better fuel efficiency
- High-performance capabilities
- Average fuel economy for V6 models
- Lower fuel economy for V8 models
- The three-row Grand Cherokee L loses 1 mpg combined
- Cargo Area: 70.8 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $40,130
- MPG: 19/26 (V6)
7. 2023 Subaru Forester
The 2023 Subaru Forester is a great option for those looking for best cars to sleep in, offering a comfortable and practical space. Depending on size and how much gear is stored, it can comfortably accommodate one or two people in the back.
The Forester is known for its off-road capabilities, allowing you to venture further into the wilderness than a regular van or car. Additionally, its fold-down seats create a flat sleeping surface, enhancing comfort for napping or camping.
- Comfortably sleeps one or two people
- Good for off-road camping trips
- Fold-down seats create a flat sleeping surface
- Very good ride quality
- Respectable fuel economy
- Good interior space with standard AWD
- Great ground clearance and ample room for cargo
- May require additional gear for optimal comfort
- Limited to locations where you can park overnight
- Lackluster acceleration and engine performance
- Cargo Area: 67.3 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $29,400
- MPG: 26/33
8. 2024 Kia Telluride
The 2024 Kia Telluride is an excellent choice for sleeping in during road trips or camping adventures. It combines a classically rugged style with abundant, family-friendly practicality. The Telluride offers near-luxury equipment levels and interior ambiance while maintaining a practical and spacious interior, making it a top choice in the three-row family SUV segment. Its user-friendly technology and smart cruise control enhance the overall experience.
- Bigger-than-average third-row and cargo space
- User-friendly technology
- Extra-smart cruise control
- Handsome design
- Excellent value
- Family-friendly practicality
- Spacious interior
- X-Pro ride quality may not be suitable for everyone
- No hybrid powertrain is available
- Limited to the ride and design features available in the 2024 model
- Cargo Area: 87 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $37,355
- MPG: 20/26
9. 2024 Chevrolet Equinox
The 2024 Chevrolet Equinox, known for its compact SUV size, is a viable option for sleeping in during road trips or camping. While there are no notable changes in the 2024 model compared to its predecessors, it continues to offer a balance of comfort and practicality.
The Chevrolet Equinox remains a competitive choice in the compact SUV segment. It offers practicality and its essential features suitable for comfortable sleeping arrangements during travels.
- Stellar value in the LS trim with essential features
- Good fuel efficiency, especially with FWD models
- Decent cargo space, with up to 63.9 cubic feet when seats are folded
- Standard safety features across all trims
- User-friendly technology including wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Limited towing capacity
- Some models might feel underpowered
- Basic interior features in the base model
- Cargo Area: 63.9 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $26,600
- MPG: 26/31
10. 2023 Toyota Prius V
The 2023 Toyota Prius V is a suitable option for those looking to sleep in their car, especially considering its recent redesign which has improved its overall appeal and driving experience. It provides a comfortable ride with a more engaging drive and better brakes. Additionally, its improved all-wheel-drive system, now functional at all speeds, adds to its versatility. The model also offers a significant power increase, with the front-wheel-drive version outputting 194 horsepower and the all-wheel-drive model 196 horsepower.
- Improved driving experience
- Comfortable ride with better brakes
- Increased horsepower for both FWD and AWD models
- All-wheel-drive system effective at all speeds
- Competitive pricing, starting at $28,545
- Slight fuel economy penalty with AWD
- Use of 91-octane premium fuel for best performance and fuel economy
- Possible compromises in interior packaging and materials quality
- Cargo Area: 67.3 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $29,400
- MPG: 50/56
11. 2024 Genesis GV70
The 2024 Genesis GV70 is a luxury compact SUV that makes them best cars to sleep in for camping. It offers a blend of style and value, making it a good choice for sleeping during road trips or camping. It has two engine options: a 300-horsepower turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder and a more powerful 375-horsepower turbo 3.5-liter V-6, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.
- Elegant interior
- Large, user-friendly infotainment screen
- Acceleration with turbo V-6
- Electrified GV70 option with strong electric powertrains
- Less expensive than many direct rivals
- Upgraded brakes and new 19-inch wheels (turbo four-cylinder models)
- Improved forward collision avoidance system and Highway Driving Assist 2 (twin-turbo V6 models)
- Touchscreen requires a stretch to reach
- Ride is too firm with available 21-inch wheels
- Cargo space is only average
- Mediocre driving range in Electrified GV70
- Cargo Area: 56.9 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $44,900
- MPG: 22/28
12. 2023 Hyundai Palisade
The 2023 Hyundai Palisade is a choice for sleeping in during road trips or camping, thanks to its spacious interior and premium features. The SUV is noted for its roomy passenger and cargo space, surpassing its rivals. It offers a range of advanced technology and is comfortable to drive.
- Premium interior
- Spacious passenger and cargo area
- Advanced technology features
- Comfortable driving experience
- All do not favor styling changes in 2023
- No hybrid or plug-in hybrid option is available
- Cargo Area: 86.4 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $35,900
- MPG: 19/25
13. 2024 BMW X7
The 2024 BMW X7 is an excellent choice for those looking for a luxurious car to sleep in during road trips or camping. It’s known for its ultra-smooth, powerful engines, surprisingly good handling, and a decadent, upscale interior. The vehicle comes with snappy shifts and unflappable traction, making it feel more agile than its size suggests. The xDrive all-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission in every model enhance its driving experience.
- Ultra-smooth powerful engines
- Surprisingly good handling
- Decadent and upscale interior
- Snappy shifts and reliable traction
- Spacious interior for all three rows
- Infotainment usability can be frustrating
- Polarizing design might not appeal to everyone
- Power second row reduces utility space
- Cargo Area: 48.6 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $81,900
- MPG: 16/20
14. 2024 BMW X5
The 2024 BMW X5 stands out as an excellent car for sleeping due to its blend of luxury, comfort, and advanced features. The premium interior offers a tranquil environment, ideal for rest.
The premium interior offers a tranquil environment, ideal for rest. With plush seating, ambient lighting, and cutting-edge technology, this SUV transforms into a haven for relaxation. The spacious cabin allows for a restful recline, while the refined suspension system ensures a smooth and peaceful ride. The attention to detail in the X5’s design not only enhances its aesthetic appeal but also contributes to creating an inviting space for a rejuvenating nap on the road. From its opulent materials to its state-of-the-art amenities, the 2024 BMW X5 redefines the sleeping experience in a vehicle, making it a standout choice for those seeking unparalleled comfort during their journeys.
- The BMW X5 is known for its luxurious and roomy interior, making it great for sleeping.
- With sophisticated sound tuning, the car provides a peaceful environment.
- Ensures a secure and worry-free experience.
- Impressive performance capabilities for those times you are on the move.
- The cabin is adorned with plush materials and finishes, enhancing the overall comfort.
- This feature contributes to a smooth ride, which is beneficial for relaxation and sleep.
- The xDrive50e model offers about 40 miles of electric range, adding to its efficiency.
- The 2024 BMW X5 has a substantial price tag, which may be a drawback for some.
- The new technology may be overwhelming for some users.
- Cargo Area: 23 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $65,200
- MPG: 23/27
15. 2024 Genesis GV80
The 2024 Genesis GV80 emerges as an outstanding car for sleeping, combining luxury with practical features. The spacious and high-quality interior makes it a comfortable choice for rest.
Its spacious and meticulously crafted interior provides an inviting haven for relaxation, ensuring a peaceful rest during your travels. With cutting-edge features and a commitment to superior design, the 2024 Genesis GV80 redefines the standard for a truly indulgent sleep-on-the-go experience.
- Nappa leather upholstery with heated and ventilated seats in both rows ensures maximum comfort.
- Active noise cancellation contributes to a peaceful environment.
- Three-zone climate control with heated second-row seats enhances comfort in all conditions.
- Choose a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a more powerful 3.5-liter turbocharged motor.
- Includes a 14.5-inch media display with modern connectivity options.
- The large SUV size provides ample space for sleeping and relaxation.
- Equipped with advanced safety features for a secure experience.
- Starting at $58,575, it is an expensive option.
- While balanced, the fuel efficiency isn’t class-leading.
- The high-tech features might be overwhelming for some users.
- Cargo Area: 34.9 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $58,645
- MPG: 18/23
16. Skoda Superb Combi
The 2024 Skoda Superb Combi is an excellent choice for those seeking a best cars to sleep in for camping. Building on its predecessor’s strengths, the new Superb Combi enhances practicality and passenger space and includes various engine options, including long-range plug-in hybrids. Its design features a more sculpted front and slimmer, detailed headlights, contributing to its aesthetic appeal.
- It is bigger in almost every dimension than its predecessor, offering ample space.
- It offers a significant cargo space of 690 liters behind the rear seats, ideal for storing sleeping gear and other essentials.
- Features like heated and cooled seats ensure comfort in various weather conditions.
- A 12.9-inch touchscreen, up from 9.2 inches, provides easy access to controls and entertainment.
- Multiple USB-C ports and a wireless smartphone charger with a cooling function cater to modern connectivity needs.
- Offers a selection of turbocharged petrol, diesel, and electrified powertrains for varied driving preferences.
- Despite being larger overall, the wheelbase remains the same as its predecessor, which might affect the interior layout.
- The vehicle hasn’t grown much in width, which could limit side-to-side sleeping space.
- Cargo Area: 57.5 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $35,890
- MPG: 36 MPG
17. Volkswagen Passat Estate
The 2024 Volkswagen Passat Estate, with its increased length and focus on the wagon model, presents itself as an excellent car for sleeping. This vehicle, now on Volkswagen Group’s MQB platform, is larger than its predecessor, offering more interior space essential for comfort while sleeping.
- The new Passat is longer, providing more interior space.
- It offers seven powertrain options, including hybrid and plug-in hybrid variants, for versatile driving experiences.
- The extra length has increased the boot space to 1,920 liters, up from 1,780, making it more suitable for storing sleeping equipment.
- The complete redesign inside adds comfort and usability with a larger touchscreen and repositioned gear stick.
- The range-topping power option comes with Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.
- The infotainment system has been improved based on customer feedback.
- The sedan version is no longer available, limiting body style choices to only the wagon.
- Most models come with front-wheel drive as standard, which might not be preferable for all drivers.
- Cargo Area: 57.7 ft³ with seat area
- Starting Price: $27,000
- MPG: 31 MPG
What is the best estate car to sleep in?
The 2024 Skoda Superb Combi is highly regarded for sleeping due to its spacious interior, enhanced cargo capacity, and comfortable climate control features.
Is it OK to fall asleep in the car?
Yes, falling asleep in a car is generally OK if it’s parked safely and securely. However, ensure the location is safe for overnight parking and consider local regulations and safety issues.
Can I sleep in car with AC on?
It’s not recommended to sleep in a car with the AC on, especially if the engine is running, due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and the potential to drain the car’s battery.
What are the disadvantages of sleeping in a car?
The main disadvantages include potential safety risks, discomfort due to limited space, temperature fluctuations, and legal issues in some areas regarding overnight parking in public spaces.
When equipped with the right features and spacious interior dimensions, today’s cars, trucks and SUVs can transform into comfortable sleeping quarters for road trip rests. As you evaluate options, consider cargo capacity, seat folding abilities, climate controls, and added conveniences.
Various best cars to sleep in for camping have fold-flat seats, opening up significant living space. Full-size pickup trucks also offer first-class accommodations – the cancellation of engine noise and road vibration is superior thanks to the body-on-frame build.
If you’re willing to pay more, luxury SUVs allow backseat passengers to recline seats with leg rests deploying – perfect for napping between destinations.
While cars don’t officially market themselves as motel replacements, smartly designed interiors, through generous proportions and versatile seat configurations, enable comfortable overnighting.
So for those looking to camp on the go in 2023 and 2024, there are family vehicles, trucks and upscale SUVs promising premier lodgings rivaling dedicated RVs and camper vans. Test drive the roomiest models equipped with the best sleeping-oriented features for your needs.